Portrait of Pieter Bouwens
- Artist/ Creator
- Ferdinand Bol
- Portrait of Pieter Bouwens
- Oil on canvas
- 118 x 97 cm
When and from whom C.H.J. Veldkamp acquired this painting is no longer known. This and its pendant may have belonged to a Jewish collector.
C.H.J. Veldkamp was a director of a cooperative sugar refinery in Roosendaal. In the 1930s he acquired a considerable collection of art and antiques. During the war, Veldkamp allegedly sympathised with the Germans. When the Allies liberated Roosendaal in September 1944, he fled. He died in Maastricht on 31 August 1945.
The heirs of a Jewish collector have submitted a claim to the museum for this portrait and its pendant. Roosendaal municipality intends to refer the case to the Restitution Committee.
On 13 April 2015 the Restitutions Committee gave binding advice to the municipality of Roosendaal to restitute the paintings Portrait of Pieter Bouwens and Portrait of Anna Maria van Nutt by Ferdinand Bol to the heir of the former owner.
- ? <> 1945-08-31
- C.H.J. Veldkamp (collection), Roosendaal
Museum inventory; SNK archive no. 1052
- 1945-08-31 <> na 1950-05-16
- Erven Veldkamp (collection), Roosendaal
- After 1950-05-16
- Purchased by Roosendaal municipality from Veldkamp’s heirs
- After 1950-05-16 <> 2015-04-13
- Museum Tongerlohuys (on loan from the municipality)