Investigation into the provenance of museum collections in connection with the theft, confiscation and sale of objects under duress between 1933 and 1945.

menu Skip over navigation | Sla menu over

Esther scroll

to museum page

Esther scroll

Artist/ Creator
Anonymous
Title
Esther scroll
Year
19th century
Technique
Parchment and wood
Size
l. 31,5 cm, Ø 6,3 cm
Inventorynumber
2068
Description

Esther scroll with silk backing, in a cylinder decorated with red, yellow and black ribbon (colours of Culemborg city).

Category
Jewish ritual objects

Museum

Museum Elisabeth Weeshuis

Conclusion

This Esther scroll was entrusted with the museum for safekeeping by Louis de Beer, the shamash (caretaker) of the local synagogue; the scroll belonged to Culemborg Jewish community.

Explanation

In May 1940, Louis de Beer, the shamash (caretaker) of the synagogue in Culemborg, gave this Esther scroll together with other ritual objects to the Oudheidkamer, predecessor of Elisabeth Weeshuis. The previous museum curator states that they were brought for safekeeping. De Beer survived the war and lived in Culemborg until his death the 1960s. Culemborg Jewish community was dissolved in 1947. No record exists of the museum contacting De Beer to return the objects or to acquire them as a gift. The objects are mentioned in the Museum Acquisitions 1940-1948 report (Amsterdam, 1999).

Reconstruction origin

Before May 1940
Jewish community (collection), Culemborg

Museum inventory; Museum Acquisitions 1940-1948 report, Amsterdam, 1999

1940-05
Given to the museum for safekeeping by Louis de Beer

Museum inventory; Museum Acquisitions 1940-1948 report, Amsterdam, 1999

1940-05 <> present day
Museum Elisabeth Weeshuis